* I didn't want the other kids in the class to look bad.
* Our furnace broke and we had to burn my homework to keep ourselves from freezing.
* I'm not at liberty to say why.
*It was destroyed in a freak accident involving a hippo, a toaster, and a bag of frozen peas. You don't want to know the details.
* I have a solar-powered calculator, and it was cloudy. [my favorite!]
* My mom used it as a dryer sheet.
* I felt it wasn't challenging enough.
* My parents were sick and unable to do my homework last night. Don't worry, they have been suitably punished.
* I didn't want to add to your already heavy workload.
* I spent the night at a rally supporting higher pay for our hard-working teachers.